Roving Eye Photography

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The end of my vacation

So it's over. And what a way to end it. Today, I went to a concert by Vijay Siva. It is the best concert I have heard in the Bay Area so far. Accompanied by Sriramkumar and JV, he started with the Hamsadwani varanam Pagavari followed by Thulasidalamulache in Mayamalavagowlai with a ragam and brisk swarams. Next was a lovely raga exposition in Sahana in which he sang the Navavarna keertanai. I am currently learning these gems of Dikshithar and it amazes me how rich these songs are (I can't think of any other adjective). Vijay's rendition gave me oose bumps. Next was Shyama Sastry's Sankari Shankuru in Saveri. Good pace and wonderfully done (despite Saveri's proximity to Mayamalavagowlai, I still enjoyed it). Brovabaramma in Bahudaari followed Saveri. Intended as a filler, it was fabulous with brisk swarams. It was almost Madurai Maniesque sarva laghu. Really beautiful. Then came Inta Soukhyamu in Kaapi. Again I had goose bumps. It was laid back and I was filled with a sense of peace. It reminded me of KVN's rendition in his last concert. RKS's rendition of the ragam was slower and very well done. On the heels of Kaapi came a wonderful RTP in Poorvikalyani - Paramama paavana na raama in Mishra nadai triputa talam. The eduppu was half a beat after the last beat. Vijay eased into tishra nadai beautifully during the swaram rendition. This was followed by a bunch of "thikkadas". Fantastic. Every ragam oozed with its essence - his music is just so clear and peaceful. I almost feel that the quality of a person's music is a reflection of that person's personality. It did seem that way. I am totally sated :)

I'm ready to take on tomorrow. The break has done me good. Apparently I also look much better now going by the number of compliments I have got in the past few weeks. That certainly feels good.

No comments: