Roving Eye Photography

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Tales from my school days - Episode 2

This one takes the cake as to the kind of crazy things (that are publishable) that I did back in school.

I was (still am) extremely fond of cats. My house was a haven for numerous strays that I went to great lengths to befriend. I would beg and cajole my mother into letting me feed the cats and she would always give in after making a big fuss about what ungrateful thieving creatures they were.

Anyways, once, a friend and I found a pair of kittens at school. They had not yet opened their eyes and someone had put them in a box and left them in a gutter. Being the cat lovers that we were, we decided to rescue them and took them with us to the classroom. We of course knew that this act would be looked upon with the utmost disapproval, so we hid the little creatures inside our desk. During the geography class, one little kitten was probably hungry and began to mew. I could see a puzzled look on the teacher’s face when she heard it the first time. The mewing continued and the teacher began to get visually upset. She scowled at a girl sitting in front and said “M, stop making that noise”. Of course M had no idea what was going on and pleaded innocence. When the mewing didn’t stop, my friend R and I decided it was best to come clean. We told her about the kittens and begged her to help us feed them some milk. The teacher had a kind soul and led us to the teachers’ staff room where we tried to feed them cow’s milk. Of course, that turned out to be unsuccessful. R and I did not give up though. I took my kitten to music class after school, and finally brought it home at five o’clock in the evening. The poor kitten had spent an entire day in strange surroundings including a desk, a bag, and a ride on a public transportation bus. My mother was speechless when she saw what I had in the bag. “What exactly do you think you can do for the kitten?” she asked me. “We can see if Sundari can feed her milk” I replied. Sundari was my cat, a virgin (I did not know this of course). My mother shook her head in consternation and said Sundari would not be able to help with the milk. My heart sank. I tried feeding the kitten cow’s milk with an ink dropper and what have you, but of course the poor thing died. It had gone for twenty four hours without food. I was devastated but my busy life and time healed the wound.

No comments: